Direct Mail Strategies for Success
Current data shows more than 70 percent of recipients look forward to receiving their mail, and have purchased a product or service from a direct mail piece. (Epislon) Additionally, direct mail print ads remain effective, especially with B2B and B2C companies.
To maintain direct mail success, your business needs to find its own unique strategy. The days of sending a simple printed postcard and expecting a huge response are a thing of the past. You need to rethink your direct mail design and tactics if you want to capture your potential customer’s interest.
Consider your audience. Are they past customers or prospects? What should your direct mail piece look like to capture their attention? What can you do to have these potential customers open your direct mail, rather than simply tossing it in the trash?
In today’s digital generation, a modern-day direct mail marketing tactic example would be combining a print direct mail piece with a Quick Response (QR) code. Any potential customer with a smartphone can use their phone’s camera to read a QR code without extra work. You are able to craft a landing page for the QR to direct people to, with your message.
Consider how many people carry a smartphone. Smartphones are used by potential customers of all ages. Hence this QR direct mail approach has the potential to be successful with customers of all ages. (www.targetmarketingmag.com)
Along with digital direct mail, print direct mail remains an effective marketing strategy. Believe it or not, if your target audience is millennials, this age group is the most receptive audience to print direct mail tactics. (United States Postal Service) Yet to make this marketing strategy a success, your business needs to first capture your customer’s attention, no matter their age. Read some Direct Mail Marketing Ideas that Actually Work and learn how to get your envelope opened or print ad read below:
- Stand Out – Capture your potential audience’s attention by using a variety of print tactics that pop.
Here are just a few examples:
- Full Color
- Glossy or matte paper
- Unique envelope shapes. According to the Direct Marketers Association, over-sized envelopes have the largest response rate.
- Personalize Direct Mail – Include your customer’s name or a tailored message.
- Include a Call-to-Action – Include how your product or service can benefit your potential customer. Offer discounts to get the ball rolling.
- Include Freebies – Everyone likes to receive something free in the mail – whether it’s a physical object or redeemable freebie.
- How to Respond – Offer customers a variety of methods to respond to your direct mail piece. The more methods offered, the better chances of results.
- Postage-paid post cards
- Phone numbers
- Customized URLs
- QR Codes
- Redeemable offers
To keep your direct mail approach successful, your business has numerous options to utilize. The primary focus is to keep your direct mail strategy creative and interesting, and you will keep your potential audience’s attention.